Flammable Liquids Danger
Be it gasoline, barbecue fuel, paint or paint thinner, CAUTION
is the word to live by. Flammable liquids are as common as most
other commodities we use daily around our homes. So common, in fact,
we often forget their potential to cause serious injury or loss
of life. Oftentimes in our complacency, we treat flammable liquids
as if they were no more harmless than the water we drink.
When the vapors of a flammable liquid do ignite, they often do
so with explosive force. This can lead to serious injury of a victim's
face and eyes and often results in clothing catching fire.
- Store flammable liquids in an approved container specifically
designed for such liquids. Metal containers are best. Do not use
glass containers. If plastic is your choice, make certain it is
a type approved for such use.
- Store flammable liquids in a well-ventilated area, separate
from the living portion of the home - preferably in a storage
building apart from the house. Keep all hazardous products locked
up and out of the reach of children.
- Read the labels on all flammable liquid containers and observe
the precautions as indicated.
- Make certain all flammable liquids are kept well away from
ignition or flame sources. Be aware of spark producing equipment
such as pilot lights, cigarettes, matches or lighters. Remember
that many flammable liquid vapors can be ignited by a distant
flame or spark.
- Never carry gasoline in the trunk of a car. If your car is hit
from the rear by another car, there can be a fatal explosion.
- Re-fuel gas-powered equipment outdoors and only after the equipment
has cooled down (lawn mowers, tillers, etc.).
- Always use flammable liquids in a well-ventilated area to prevent
a concentration of their highly flammable and often toxic vapors.