Home Fire Safety Check List
- Are fuel-burning space heaters and appliances properly
installed and used?
- Are all space heaters placed away from traffic? Are
children and elderly persons cautioned to keep their clothing
- Has the family been cautioned not to use flammable liquids,
like gasoline, to start or freshen a fire (or for cleaning purposes)?
- Is the fireplace equipped with a metal fire screen or
heat-tempered glass doors?
- Since portable gas and oil heaters in fire places use
up oxygen as they burn, do you provide proper ventilation when
they are in use?
- Are proper clearances provided between space heaters
and curtains, bedding, furniture?
- Do you stop members of your household from smoking in
- Do you check up after others to see that no cigarette
butts are lodged in upholstered furniture where they can smolder
unseen at night?
- Are matches and lighters kept away from small children?
- Do you dispose of smoking materials carefully (not in
waste baskets) and keep large, safe ashtrays wherever people smoke?
- Are all electrical cords out in the open - not run under
rugs, over hooks, or through door openings? Are they checked routinely
- Is the right size fuse in each socket in the fuse box
and do you replace a fuse with one the same size?
- Children get burned climbing on the stove to reach an
item overhead. Do you store cookies, cereal, or other "bait,"
away from the stove?
- Do you keep your basement, closets, garage, and yard
clear of combustibles like papers, cartons, old furniture, or
- Are gasoline and other flammable liquids stored in safety
cans (never glass jugs, discarded bleach bottles, or other makeshift
containers) and away from heat, sparks, and children?
- Is paint kept in tightly-closed metal containers?
- Are furnace, stove, and smoke pipes far enough from
combustible walls and ceilings, and in good repair
- Is your heating equipment checked yearly by a serviceman?
- Is the chimney cleaned and checked regularly?
- For safety against chimney and other sparks, is the
roof covering fire retardant?
- Do you have a qualified electrician install or extend
- Do all your appliances carry the seal of a testing laboratory?
- Are there enough electrical outlets in every room and
special circuits for heavy-duty appliances such as space heaters
and air conditioners.